Use Widgets on Samsung Galaxy S4
Edited by Leomar Umpad, Lynn, Maureen D., Jerry Rivers and 1 other
This is part of the Howik on how to use the Samsung Galaxy S4. You can visit the main Howik on how to USE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 for a full list of S4 Howik Articles
Widgets can be found on the home screen, and they show you what they do. Widgets are applications that allow you to customize your phone to suit your needs by using the home screen as the "quick access" page for all the functions you see as important.
Difference between widgets and applications icons
A first-time Android user may have a hard time distinguishing a widget from an application icon on the home screen. The main difference that lies between these two is that widgets display all the information on the home screen without opening a different window, while app icons are merely shortcuts to the actual applications. A clock widget, when opened, will display the time and other options, but it will remain in the home screen, while an application shortcut icon for the clock app will open the app itself in a separate window.
Types of widgets
- 1Information Widgets -- These are the type of widgets that provide the user with information that is important and critical to him.These include weather widgets, clock widgets, calendar widgets and other widgets that update you on an event or activity that may require tracking information.
- 2Collection Widgets -- These are the types of widgets that display collections of items such as new stories from the news app, emails from the email app, or pictures from the gallery app.Collection widgets focuses on two functions: Browsing the collection and opening an element from the collection for viewing and use.
- 3Control Widgets -- These are the type of widgets that allow the user control over the phone without going to the application or settings.A music widget will allow you to control the music player without opening it. Connection widgets allow you to manage your radio connections without going to the settings.
- 4Hybrid Widgets -- These are the type of widgets that have two or more of the characteristics of the ones listed above.
Add widgets to Samsung Galaxy S4
- 1Go to your home menu.
- 2Tap on Apps > Widgets.
- 3You will be shown the available widgets.You can navigate through the widgets by scrolling left or right.
- 4When you have chosen your desired widget, tap and press on it to add it to the home screen.
Add widgets to Samsung Galaxy S4 Lock Screen
S4 allows use of widgets, even on the lock screen. To do it:
- 1Pull down the notifications drawer and tap on "Settings" (gear icon), located on the upper-right portion of the screen.
- 2In settings, tap on "My Device".
- 3In the "My Device" tab, tap on "Lock Screen".
- 4Tap on the check box next to the "Multiple Widgets" option to add widgets to your lock screen.
- 5Lock your screen by pressing the power button once.
- 6Bring up your screen by pressing the power button again.
- 7You are now on the lock screen, where you can tap on a plus tile to add a widget to it.
- 8Navigate through each lock screen by doing a swiping gesture.
- 9You can use up to six widgets on the lock screen, once each on its six lock screens.
How to move widgets from one page to another and to the home screen
- 2Click "Widgets" at the top right hand corner of your screen, and there will be a pop up menu of all your available widgets.
- 3Tap the widget that you choose to move, and hold it until it detaches, and it will now take you to your home screen.
- 4Move it around to select where you want that particular widget to be.
- 5Let go of the widget when you have found your preferred place for it.
Is it possible to add a search box in the widget page?
It is possible to add a Google search page on the widget page. To do this:
- 1Go to your Home screen.You can go to your Home screen by tapping on the Home key once or tapping on the Back key for a few time.
- 2Tap on the Apps icon on the lower-right part of your Home Screen.You will be taken to the Apps list.
- 3Tap on the Widgets tab.From the App list view, change the view into widget view by tapping on the Widgets tab on the upper-right part of your phone's screen.
- 4Tap on the Menu key.The Menu key is located at the lower-right part of your phone. Tap on it once to view three options: Playstore, Search and Uninstall.
- 5Tap on Search.Since you want to add a search box in the widget page. A search box will now appear at the upper part of your screen.
- 6Start searching.You can input some keywords to search for available widgets on the widget page. The more characters you put on the search box, the more refined is the results of the search.
- 7You have just learned how to add a search box in the widget page of your Galaxy S4.
How to hide and delete widgets on the Galaxy S4
If you want to hide and delete a widget:
- 1Scroll on the home screen to any spot free of apps icons, so that you do not open them accidentally.
- 2Tap "Apps and Widgets".You will find it about halfway down on the home screen.
- 3Tap the "Widgets" tab at the top right of your screen.
- 4To delete a widget, press and hold it until it becomes larger.
- 5Now, note that there is a bright yellow framing on the widget if it can be re-sized.Drag the widget to the "Remove" icon, which looks like a trash can.
- 6Take your finger off, and you have removed the widget from your home screen.
- 7The widget is now removed.This procedure will not permanently delete your widget. However, it is no longer on the home screen from where it was located. The widget is hidden, and can be easily retrieved if you ever want it back on the home page.
How to permanently delete widgets on the Samsung Galaxy S4
If you need more space or memory on your Galaxy S4, you can uninstall an application. If you want to permanently delete a widget on your Galaxy S4, or any Android mobile device, you must remove its software program. Keep in mind that once the widget is permanently removed, the only way to retrieve it will be to reinstall it. This is a simple procedure, however. Just follow the instructions below.
- 1Go to "Android Market" on your home page.
- 2Tap the "Menu" key and select "My Applications" in the lower screen area.
- 3Scroll down to "Settings" and tap it.
- 4Tap "More".
- 5Tap "Applications Manager".
- 6Select and tap the application you desire to permanently delete.
- 7Tap "Uninstall" on the menu.
- 8Tap "OK".
- 9You have now uninstalled the widget.
How to re-size a widget
Many widgets are re-sizable. Why do this? You may want a widget that is easier to find, and you want it to be easily spotted for quicker access among myriad widgets on your home screen. The solution is to make it bigger to stand out “in the crowd”. Follow these easy instructions to make a widget bigger or smaller.
- 1Press the widget you want to re-size and hold it.Now, you will see that there is a bright yellow frame around the widget if it can be re-sized.
- 2Just drag your finger on the edges of the widget to change its dimensions.
- 3Once it is the desired width and length, take your finger off the widget.
- 4You are in edit mode with this action, so tap any open space on your screen now to exit this mode.
The above procedures will empower you to shape the look and use of your Samsung Galaxy S4 screen easily.