Update Samsung Galaxy S2 to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean
Edited by Mohsin, Charmed, Leomar Umpad, Michael J. and 8 others
Android 4.3, Jelly Bean, launched in the second half of 2012 with almost all of the Nexus devices, the Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4 as well as most HTC phones receiving the update. For some people on certain carriers, or using older (but still very capable) hardware like the Galaxy S2, waiting for Jelly Bean has been a 'sit and hope' affair. If you're hanging out to get Jelly Bean on your Galaxy S2, don't wait any longer. The Android custom developer community has their version of Jelly Bean ready to go on your device and all you need to do is carefully follow the steps below.
Before Updating Make Sure:
- Your Galaxy S2 should be rooted.
- You need a custom recovery on your device like ClockWork Mod.
- USB debugging should be set to 'enabled'. You can do this by going in to your settings menu, then choosing 'development options' and ticking 'USB debugging'.
- You should have a full battery when following the below instructions. If your phone shuts down at any time, there can be irreparable damage to the file system.
Rooting Samsung Galaxy S2
Things to consider before rooting
- Rooting and modifying your device in any way can void your warranty.
- Your phone should have the latest updates from Samsung installed before you follow these instructions.
- Rooting will delete your phone's data. Backup your important files to an SD card or computer before continuing with the steps.
Things you will need when rooting
- ODIN Downloader: download here
- USB Data Cable
- XWKDD Kernel: download here
- SuperOneclick: download here and install the app to your Samsung Galaxy S2
- Samsung Kies:download here or here
How to Root S2
- 1Download all of the software from the previous step and have them ready on your PC.2Double check that you have enabled debugging mode on your phone.3Power down your phone.4You can now boot the phone in to download mode.Do this by holding the volume down, and power buttons at the same time. The phone should boot up with the 'Downloading' flash screen as shown in the image.5Open the ODIN software on your PC.6Connect your phone to your PC using your USB cable.Once the phone has synced ODIN will show a message that the phone has been detected7Inside ODIN, enable the tick boxes for "Auto Reboot" and "F.Reset Time".8Click the PDA button in ODIN and choose the file XWKDD_insecure.tar that you downloaded in the previous steps.9Don't change any other settings here, leave them set to default.10When you're ready, click the start button and ODIN will begin installing the necessary files on your phone.1112On your phone, open the SuperOneClick app that you installed in the previous steps.13Press the 'Root' tab from within the app.14You can now restart your phone again and the rooting process is complete.15
Steps to Update Galaxy S2 to Jelly Bean 4.3
- 1You will need to download a compatible version of Jelly Bean for your device.You can try the Cyanogen Mod which is very stable and popular with users. Get the file here. You will also need the Gapps installation which you can find here.2Once the downloads have completed, you can reconnect your phone to your PC using the USB cable.3Copy or move the downloaded files (don't extract the .zip) to the root directory of your SD card.This is the first directory of the card without going in to any other folders.4Power down your phone and then boot it back up by holding the volume up, home and power keys until the phone boots in to recovery mode.5From the recovery screen, choose 'install zip from SD card' and then choose the .zip file that you saved on the root of your SD card.6Accept the prompts on the next screen to continue with the installation.7When the installation has completed, follow the steps again but this time select 'install google apps' and choose the other file that you have copied to the root of your SD card.8When this installation is complete, you can choose 'restart' from the main menu.9Your phone will now boot back up with the new ROM installed.Congratulations, you're now running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. The new ROM can take up to five minutes to load on the first boot so be patient before exploring all the new features.10
Jelly Bean is the 10th version of Google's Android operating system. It succeeds Ice Cream Sandwich and was officially released on June 27, 2012. Nicknamed 'Project Butter', the new OS aims to make the user interface as smooth as possible from a visual perspective. Menus and transitions will now flow as you haven't seen them before on Android. There are also various bug fixes and software improvements, most notably:
- A New notification system. You can now complete actions from the notifications tray like interact with emails and messages without opening the related app.
- Speed improvements to the default camera app.
- Widgets now work better.
- Better accessibility features.
- Google Now and Android Beam functionality built in to the OS.
Tips, Tricks & Warnings
- The instructions in this article are intended for the Samsung Galaxy S2 only.
Solution for E-Signature error
- If you're seeing this error from the recovery mode, you haven't installed a custom recovery. Make sure that you have rooted and installed Clockwork Mod on the phone.
- This error can also occur because of outdated USB drivers. Make sure you have installed Samsung Kies from the previous steps. Run it and the program will take care of your driver installations.
Solution if you get stuck on yellow error sign / logo screen
- If you see this yellow error while in the download mode, just press volume up to resume the process.
Questions and Answers
How to samsung galaxy s2?
I would like to update my galaxy S2 4.1.2 to 4.2.2, jelly bean
You can update your Samsung Galaxy S2 from 4.1.2 to 4.2.2 by choosing any of the following update procedures:
- Download and install Samsung Kies on your computer. Once download is complete, connect your Galaxy S2 to your computer via USB cable. Open Kies and wait for it to detect your phone. Once detected, Kies will search for the latest update available and will give you the option to download to the latest update. Download the update and automatic updating should follow.
- You can update through your phone's over-the-are (OTA) update. Download updates by going to Home Screen > Apps icon > Settings > About Phone > Software update > Update. Galaxy S2 will now search for available updates and will ask you if you will proceed with the download.
To update your Samsung Galaxy S2 to 4.2.2, please do the following.
- Root your phone. Please follow the instructions on "Rooting Samsung Galaxy S2" above.
- Then flash CWM via ODIN. Please do the following.
- Turn off your phone, then boot into ODIN mode.
- Connect your phone to your PC, via USB
- Flash the tar file using ODIN (click on PDA, then select the CWM tar file you have downloaded, then click Start)
- Then follow the procedure on "Steps to Update Galaxy S2 to Jelly Bean 4.3". This is the Android 4.2.2 based version of CyanogenMod for Samsung Galaxy S2 http://download.cyanogenmod.org/get/jenkins/40512/cm-10.1.3-RC2-i9100.zip
What do I need to install after installing 4.3?
Do I need to reinstall all Apps that I have currently downloaded? Also, when there is a new version of android, do I need to manually install that or will it be taken care of automatically in the same way that I check for Android updates right now?
You do not have to reinstall applications when you upgrade your phone's OS version.For future updates, you can opt to manually do it through Samsung Kies, or wirelessly do it through Over-the-Air (OTA) update. These are very easy and convenient ways so there is a very small chance that these update option would change in the future.
Understand that this update may not come standard for your device depending on the time that you asked this question but you can find this update in your update phone option.
How can i update samsung s2 to 4.3 version?
Samung s2,jelly bean 4.3 version
You need to root your phone as discussed on this section that details the rooting procedures of S2.
Once rooted, follow the instructions on this article, specifically on the section on updating S2 to 4.3 Jelly Bean through Cyanogen Mod (CM).
To update your Samsung Galaxy s2 into 4.3 jelly bean, your phone must be first rooted. And you must also download all the files needed to re-flash the room of your phone. This procedure is quite complicated and is hard to discuss every details. So I strongly suggest that you must follow the step by step procedures in this article http://howik.com/Update_Samsung_Galaxy_S2_to_Android_4.3_Jelly_Bean
I am not getting google apps on Cynagenmode 10.2?
I am not getting google apps on Cynagenmode 10.2. I just installed it
This mode has a lot of bugs in it, it seems that you have rooted your phone to another update of this device instead of having the required update for the phone. Uninstall and reinstall Cynagemode to see if you can get your google playstore to show up to download applications.
The cyanogenmod roms are just the basic android OS and does not offer the google apps package. You will need to flash the package zip file using a custom recovery like clockwork mod or TWRP. You can find the 10.2 cyanogenmod google apps package download here:
I can't download jelly bean verison?
My s2 can't find an update to software so i'm trying to download another one on my pc to download it on my s2 .. but i can't find the 4.3 jelly bean version .. and i don't know how to set it up on my s2 .. any help !
This is because the software that you are looking for is not supported originally on your Samsung Galaxy S2. This device is out dated in terms of receiving the new updates for the Samsung galaxy software. In order to get this new update you will need to purchase either a Samsung Galaxy S3 or higher.
To update you Samsung Galaxy S2 to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, please do the following.
- You will need to root your phone first. please follow the instructions on "Rooting Samsung Galaxy S2" section.
- After rooting your phone, Please do the steps on "Steps to Update Galaxy S2 to Jelly Bean 4.3". The latest Android OS version of Jelly Bean for Samsung Galaxy S2 from Cyanogenmod is 4.2 based, so you`ll have to download this 4.3 based version instead http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23212708291677799 and this Gapps http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20130813-signed.zip for 4.3 based ROMS.
Galaxy s2 4.3 update using odin method?
I need to install android 4.3 using odin method can u help me... give download link
A download link is not all you are going to need for this process, you will need to follow the steps in this article as well as rooting your device so that you can get the jelly bean update for this update is not standardly available for the S2.
There`s no official android 4.3 jellybean update for the Galaxy S2. The latest jellybean version for your phone is 4.1.
You can, however, install an open source 4.3 update without the Samsung touchwiz UI for your phone. You would not need to use odin but instead use the built in recovery of your phone. You can find the download for the S2 device here:
You`ll also need to google apps package, that includes the play store, gmail, etc. here:
You can flash both zip files from your phone`s recovery mode menu.
Give me this link please give me this link please give me this link please?
Download S2 4.3.1 jelly bean link?
Please refer to the above question in regards to gaining access to the 4.3 jelly bean version to be installed on your device successfully.
If you are looking for some rooms for your device. You can try to look here for the Cynogen room it is the same with jelly bean 4.3 :
or this slim bean
I Update Jealy Bean Version with odin My Phone Galaxy S2 SHW-M250S?
I Update Jealy Bean Version with odin My Phone Galaxy S2 SHW-M250S now not working my phone only show upgrade how to solve my problem
Was the update completely flashed on the phone? If it had, the phone would have rebooted into the new OS. Connect the phone to computer and run odin again. Make sure the com port is lighted, meaning the phone is connected correctly, with the drivers installed. Check screen shot here:
You`ll need to have phone in download mode when connected to the computer. The button press combo is power plus volume down. Load up the jelly bean firmware file and flash again with odin. Make sure this time the file is fully flashed and you see the pass sign:
From the recovery screen, i cannot see "install zip from SD card", could tell me where it is?
In the step: "From the recovery screen, choose 'install zip from SD card' and then choose the .zip file that you saved on the root of your SD card." From the recovery screen, i cannot see "install zip from SD card", could tell me where it is?
Howik QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Yes i have a straight talk unlock phone and want to up date it?
Put jelly bean 4.3 on my s2 unlocked phone
Officially, your Galaxy S2 can only be upgraded to Jelly Bean 4.1. To be able to use 4.3 on your phone, you will need root and flash a custom 4.3 firmware.
You may want to rethink rooting your phone as it will void the manufacturer`s warranty.
Problem with installing Jelly bean and google apps?
After selecting "apply update from sdcard" and then the jellybean 4.3, it says E: failed to verify whole-file signature and E: signature verification failed
Are you using a custom recovery to install the jelly bean update? If you are, there should be an option to turn off signature verification. Look for the option called Toggle Signature Verification and turn it OFF. Reinstall the update zip and it should go thru. Check screen here:
Categories : PL Check GREEN
Recent edits by: Maria, Robbi, Batkingnz
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 79,653 times.