Turn On and Off the Samsung Galaxy S4
Edited by Leomar Umpad, Charmed, Melissa Meyer, Reema and 4 others
This is part of the Howik on how to use the Samsung Galaxy S4. The link to the mother Howik is here - USE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4
Before you will be able to use your Samsung Galaxy S4, you need to turn it on. When it is the first time that you will be turning it on, Samsung has on-screen instructions to help you with setting up your new Android phone. Simply follow the on-screen instructions and you're good to go. To turn on and off your device, check on the guide below:
Turning On Your Samsung Galaxy S4
- 1Make sure that your battery has enough power to be able to turn on and boot your phone.2Turn your phone on by pressing and holding on the Power button for a few seconds until the Samsung logo appears.3Release the Power button and wait for your phone to boot.4
Turning Off Your Samsung Galaxy S4
- 1Press and hold the Power button until you see the device options2Tap on "Power off" to turn your phone off.3
How to switch off Galaxy S4 without using power button
If you cannot use your Power button because it is defective, or you just want to conserve it by using it minimally, you can follow the procedures below to switch off your Samsung Galaxy S4 without using the Power button.
- 1Go to your Home menu by pressing on the "Home" button, located on the lower-middle part of your phone.2From the Home menu, tap on the "Applications" icon3You will now be taken to the application list.Search for Play Store4From Play Store, tap on the "Search" button and search for the key word "Button Savior".5Download and install the application.6You can also download Button Savior on the web if you cannot download it via Play Store.7After installation, open Button Savior.It may require you to enable debugging mode. Tap on the "Yes" button to automatically go to the settings where you can enable USB debugging.8After enabling Debugging Mode, open the application and tap "Kill/Start Button Savior Service".9A small arrow on the right part of the screen will show.Tap on it to convert it into icons.1011Tap on the "Power off" option to turn off your device.12You have successfully learned how to switch off your S4 without using the Power button.13If this wiki helped you... Give our volunteer authors a
- A comprehensive tutorial on how to use Button Savior is also available.
How to switch on Galaxy S4 without using Power button
If you cannot turn on your Samsung Galaxy S4 because the Power button is defective, we have just the solution for you.
- 1Press and hold the Volume button for few seconds when your phone is off.2While doing the first step, connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable.3Wait for your phone to boot to Download mode.4After booting to Download mode, press on the Volume up button to cancel it.5Upon cancellation, your phone will reboot and will turn on.6You have successfully learned how to switch on S4 without using the Power button.7
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- If, for some reason, your phone freezes and you are not able to turn it off, you can remove the battery to turn it off. Do not frequently do this though, as it may corrupt some data on your phone.
- Make sure that you have enough battery juice to boot up your phone. If you are not able to turn it on, charge it for an hour before attempting again.
Questions and Answers
Turning on the phone by pressing and holding on the Power button doesn't work in my case?
Battery is drained
There are many reasons why your Samsung Galaxy S4 won't turn on using the Power button. Check on the possible reasons below and the fixes and workaround for them.
- . When the battery of your Samsung Galaxy S4 gets totally drained, your phone will shut down and you cannot turn it on, as turning on your device requires a considerable amount of battery power. If this is the case, charge your phone for a few minutes before attempting to turn it on. When you connect the charger to your device, your screen should light up and show a battery icon charging. If the phone remains unresponsive, check if the problem is with the battery, the charger or the phone itself. The next points will discuss on how to check which of these three items is defective.
- . If your phone will not turn on and charging your phone won't get any response from your phone, there is a chance that the battery is defective. To check if it is a problem with the battery or not, try to use another charger. If the phone charges with the new charger, the battery is good and the charger is defective. If there is still no response when a working charger is connected, try to use a working battery and try again. If the phone will not turn on or charge, then the problem is with your battery. Batteries are disposable and cannot be repaired in any way. If your battery is defective, dispose of it properly and buy a new battery for your phone. If you have trouble removing the battery from your phone, then these Howik articles on removing the back cover and removing the battery will be a big help for you.
- . If the battery is working and charging, then your Power button may be defective. We have a work-around for this.
- You can press and hold the Volume Down button and connecting your Galaxy S4 to the computer will boot it into Download mode. Press on the Volume up to get your phone out of Download Mode and your phone will restart normally. You can click HERE to automatically go to the section on this article that details how to turn on your Galaxy S4 without using the Power button.
- When your Power button is defective, you may have problems with doing other phone functions. You may check the Howik article on how to effectively use phone even if the Power button is defective
- The mentioned two points above are only work-around, so you can still use your phone even if the Power button is not working. The best way, always, is to have the defect repaired by a qualified technician. Check if your phone is still under warranty. Usually, these type of defects are covered by the warranty.
- . If your phone won't turn on and does not respond when charged, and you have confirmed that the battery and the charger are working, then there may be a problem with your Samsung Galaxy S4. There is no easy work-around for this. We recommend you bring your device to an authorized service center. Again, check if the defect is covered by the warranty to save you from repair costs.
If your battery is completely drained, you`ll need to charge it. Your phone comes with an usb cable and an ac adapter. There`s 2 possible ways to charge your phone. You can connect the phone to your computer using the usb cable for charging, or use the ac adapter and plug it to an available wall socket for normal charging.
My phone won't reboot without the power button. What can i do?
My phone's power button is broken, and it won't turn on when i follow the steps given (connect phone to USB cable.. etc). when i try to reboot it, it goes to factory mode, and words appear in Japanese. i do not know how to fix this problem. please help!
It seems that you restored your device to factory settings. Your phone may have a Japanese firmware as evidenced by the Japanese characters on Start up. you can change that by tapping on the button below the Android icon when your device started. If you have not changed language and is now actually on the phone, you can change your language back to English by following the following procedures:
- Go to your Home screen by tapping on the Back key for a few times or pressing on the Home key once.
- Once you are on your Home screen, pull down the notification bar by doing a swiping gesture from the top part of the screen, to the bottom part of it.
- On the notification bar, tap on the Settings icon (gear icon) located on the upper right part of your screen.
- On your Note 3's Settings, tap on the third tab; this is the Control tab.
- Once you are on the third tab, tap the first option that has the letter "A" icon on it. This is the Language and input option.
- Once you are on the Language and input option, tap on the first option; this is the change language option.
- From the change language page, scroll down until you see English.
- You have successfully changed your device's language.
Also, since you mentioned of a problem on your Power button. You can use Button Savior as an alternative for your broken Power key. An article on how to use Button Savior on Galaxy S4 which is only similar with your Galaxy Note 3.
If the button is broken but it still works on the circuit board, you could probably get it fixed quite cheap. Here is one place I found that will fix it for you http://www.geniusphonerepair.com/4_1015_samsung-galaxy-s4-power-button-repair.html
New samsung galaxy s4. entered my sim which have a pin, samsung is asking for pin code?
I do not know how to enter pin code...?
Take note different SIM card providers have different default PIN codes. Some uses 1234, while others 0000. The best way that you can do now is look at your SIM bedding and look at the back portion. It should show the default PIN code for your phone. If the SIM bedding does not show it or you have lost the bedding, try 1234 first and check if it is correct. Your phone will warn you the number of attempts that you need to do for it to lock the SIM. If it is more than one, try the PIN 0000. If, still, these PINs won't work. Call your network service provider and ask for an assistance about the SIM card's PIN.
Turning on without the power button?
It is not working for me... i am doing the steps like it says but it still wont work
It is not possible to turn on the Samsung Galaxy S4 without the power button. You will need to get it fixed first (if it is broken in some way) so that you can use it properly. Seek an accredited technician to ensure that the service you get is top notch.
If you want to turn on your device without even using the power on button, then you come to the right place. To do this, first is go to Google Playstore and download the application called Button Savior. And install it in your device. Now install the application, and when it prompt to enable the debugging mode tap yes. Thensimply open the application and choose Kill/Start button Saviour Service, then there will be a small arrow on the screen. Tap the small arrow button on the screen and convert it into icons.
See more questions like this: My s4 is turning off by it self i was wondering if its the power button
How to turn off with using the button?
How can i turn it off on screen not using the actual button
If you want to switch off your device without using the actual button of your phone, you can make use of the application called Button Savior which can be downloaded from the Google Play Store.
This application will let you power off your device without pressing on your Power Button.
You can search this application at the Play Store and can be downloaded for free.
In the step: "Press and hold the Volume button for few seconds when your phone is off.". it doesnt work?
In the step: "Press and hold the Volume button for few seconds when your phone is off." it doesnt work.
Actually, it should work. But, you should first consider somethings that might cause this. It is either to check your phone if it has been totally drained and charge it first to be sure that your phone`s battery is still ok. Now, if it does not charging anymore, then the problem would be your battery. It is either defective nor damage and needs replacement.
It shows of factory mode, then japanese words. Nothing happen then, the words of japanese just keep appear all the time, my phone never turn on again?
In the step: "While doing the first step, connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable." It shows of factory mode, then japanese words. Nothing happen then, the words of japanese just keep appear all the time, my phone never turn on again
Use the following steps in order to factory reset your device so that you will be able to reset the device fully"
1. Turn your device off 2. Press and hold the power/volume button 3. Use the volume keys in order to highlight the option of factory reset 4. Press the power button in order to make the selection to reset your device
Im haveing truble geting my phone to stay on?
Its come on and thin gos right off i think the power buttin is stuck
It could be a physical problem with the power button. On the other hand, you may want to check on the status of your battery. This kind of activity, where the phone just goes on and off is very typical for units with a defective battery. If you tend to charge your phone even without completely draining it, your phone may be having some problems in completing a particular cycle, that`s why it goes on and off.
Ok, i figured out how to run on. i shut it down by takingout the battery in the hopes of rebooting so i can get the charger to work. a lil frustrated as i JUST bought the phone day before yesterday. help?
How do i get the charger to work?
Check your charger in order to see if the charger is working the correct way on your device. Use the charger on another device in order to see if the charger is defective or if it is the charging port on your device.
Is there a way to disable the power and volume buttons and control from the screen?
Power button and volume button
Is there a way to disable the power and volume buttons and control from the screen?
For the volume, you will need to do the following:
- go to settings
- tap audio profiles
- tap settings for general
- tap volumes
- adjust volume
As for the power button, you will need to download the app called Button Savior. Do the following:
- go to your app store
- search and download the app called Button Savior
- the app will ask you to enable USB Debugging
- tap yes
- tap kill/start button savior service
- you will now see a small arrow on the right side of screen
- tap the small arrow and you will see the options
NOTE: This can also help adjust your volume
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 13,223 times.