Play PSP Games on PC using PPSSPP Emulator
Edited by Howik Admin, Doug Collins, Eng
A lot of us like to play games in our free time, and some of us are even addicted to gaming. Sometimes, you will have a game that you want to play, but you don't have the right game console. This tutorial will teach you how to install and play PSP games on your PC, using PPSSPP PSP Emulator.
- PC with a single core CPU of at least 2.0GHz or higher
- 256MB graphic card or higher (It may work on a built-in GPU)
- 2 GB RAM or higher
- Windows XP/Vista/7/8 OS
- 7-Zip or WinRAR for zip file extraction 7-Zip or [http:/www.win-rar.com/download.htm WinRar)
- PPSSPP Emulator the latest version PPSSPP
- PSP ROMs (ISO)
- At least 5GB free disk space on your computer (for application and ROM storage)
- PlayStation Controller or Xbox controller(optional) I use a PlayStation controller
Download and Install PPSSPP Emulator
- 1First, download and install zip file extractor.I recommend 7-Zip because it is an open source application, it is free, and it can extract almost all zip formats. We will use this application to extract PPSSPP emulator and to extract the PSP Game ISO.
- 2Check your Windows Operating System type.To check, click Start, right-click “Computer”, then click "Properties", and then "System Type".
- 3Now, download the correct PPSSPP emulator for your Windows - If your operating system is running on 32-bit, download the installer for 32-bit.If your operating system is running on 64-bit, download the installer for 64-bit.
- 4After you have downloaded it, you need to extract the folder inside the zip file.Right-click the PPSSPP zip file and click "Extract files", select a destination folder, then click "OK". (In this tutorial I will extract all zip files to the Desktop screen.)
- 5Now, open the extracted folder to make sure the files are there.You will see the folder name after the extraction, and the files inside the folder on the screenshot below:
- 6Minimize the PPSSPP folder and download ROMs or games.You can download them here: (www.emuparadise.me/Sony_Playstation_Portable_ISOs/44). Use the letters to browse the game that you want. In this tutorial I will download Tekken Dark Resurrection. Click the letter “T”.
- 8Scroll down until you find "Direct Download", and click the game's name.It will redirect you to the download page. Look for "Direct Download" again, and click the game's name to start the download.
- 9Wait until the download is done, then extract it.Go to the Download folder, right click the zip file, and click "Extract files".
- 11Now, go to the extracted ROM folder and right-click it, then click "Open".Look for the “RAR File” and right-click it, then click "7-Zip", then "Extract files".
- 14If you have a controller for your PC, connect it.Now you need to load the game. On the main screen of the emulator, click "Load", then navigate to the game ISO path (it should be on the Desktop), and click "Open".
- 15Play the game and enjoy!Win in Tekken
How to Map Keyboard Controls in PPSSPP
- 1During the game, hit the "ESC" key to access the screen menu.
Troubleshooting: If PPSSPP Software Always Closes
Make Sure That You Downloaded the Correct File for Your Operating System
First, you need to check and make sure that your computer is running in 32-bit Windows or, 64-bit Windows.
- 1Click on your start menu.
- 2Go to "Control Panel".
- 3Go to "System maintenance".
- 4Click on "System".
- 5Under system, you can view the system type.
- 6Check if you have 32bit or 64bit Windows.
Download The PPSSPP Zip File That is Compatible on Your System Type
- 1Download this if you have 32bit windows - http://ppsspp.org/files/0_9_1/ppsspp_win.zip
- 2Download this if you have 64bit windows - http://ppsspp.org/files/0_9_1/ppsspp_win64.zip
- 3Extract it in your computer directory.
Make Sure That You Have Administrative Rights While Opening the Application
- 1Go to the folder where you extracted the PPSSPP emulator.
- 2Right click on PPSSPPWindows.exe and select "Run as administrator".
- 3If you don't select "Run as administrator", the program will close right after you open it.
Make Sure That You Have an Updated DirectX and Installed VC2010 Redist
You can have an updated DirectX by udpating your Windows.
- 1Click "Start" and go to the control panel.
- 2Click "System", then click the automatic update tab.
- 3Go to "Performance and Maintenance".
- 4Click "System".
- 5Click the automatic update tab.
- 6Select the option that you want to update.
Install VC2010 Redist or Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package
- 2Click "Download".
- 3Click "No Thanks and Continue.
- 4Install VC2010 Redist.
Fix Missing DLL Files
- 1Download MSVCP100.dll here: http://www.dll-files.com/msvcp100.zip?0WJjWBcFmU
- 2Download MSVCR100.dll here: http://www.dll-files.com/msvcr100.zip?0WJjWBcHjR
- 3Extract it in your computer directory.
- 4Right click on the files and select "Copy" or press Ctrl + C in your keyboard.
- 5Go to "My Computer" then to drive C:, or where your Windows is installed.
- 6Go to "Windows" folder.
- 7Look for "System 32" and "System" folders.
- 8Paste "MSVCP100.dll" and "MSVCR100.dll" in "System 32" and "System" folders.
If PPSSPP Emulator Always Close in Windows 7 and Windows 8 64-bit Operating System
If you're still having problems using this application in your Windows 7 and Windows 8, then try this old emulator build. You can download it here http://buildbot.orphis.net/ppsspp/index.php?m=detail&rev=v0.8-67-g81c6e63&platform=windows-amd64
Note from one howikian on his success with running this PPSSPP emulator (corpse party ISO) on Windows 8
I use ppsspp and I have windows 8. Works like a charm with the corpse party ISO. Also, if you have the iso, please note that; One, the opening cutscene's audio will not play sometimes, as is normal with some emulators. And two, the X key acts as the Circle button on a psp, going back. And the Z key acts as the X button on psp. You may use the arrow keys as if using the analog stick as well. Happy gaming.
Is PPSSPP Gold For Windows a Free Download?
PPSSPP Gold is not free. You need to send donations to the developer to get the gold version. They use PayPal as their payment processor, but you can use a credit card if you don't have a PayPal account.
The gold version is the same as the normal version. The only difference between the two is the icon.
- 1Open your web browser and go here - http://central.ppsspp.org/buygold
- 2Choose the amount that you want to donate.
- 3Click "Buy Now" and you will be redirected on the payment page.
- 4After the payment has been completed, you will be redirected to the download page.You will also receive an email with your receipt and the download page.
Upgrade to PPSSPP GOLD
Unfortunately PPSSPP GOLD is not free but you can choose the amount you would like to pay. It's just like a donation, because you will still get the same features, even if you choose the lowest price to purchase PPSSPP Gold. Here's the price list if you want to upgrade to PPSSPP GOLD:
If you want to upgrade to PPSSPP GOLD, you will need to have a verified PayPal account or a credit card to be able to purchase and download the installer.
Why Upgrade to PPSSPP GOLD?
- 1PPSSPP GOLD has all of the PlayStation portable emulation benefits that are available with the free edition.
- 2It offers quicker emulation and more programs in comparison to some other PlayStation portable emulators.
- 3There are boosted high-resolution visuals, along with upscaled textures.
- 4There is a turbo key for all those slow-to-play RPGs.
- 5It carries an elegant, fantastic symbol that you'll be able to show off to your pals.
For your convenience we have recorded these instructions in a video. You can watch this video to help clarify the instructions in this Wiki. Please keep in mind that the Wiki is always being updated, so the Wiki instructions may be more up to date than the video. 
Tips, Tricks & Warnings
- Ensure that you have the latest graphic drivers.
- Make sure you have latest Directx, and if any problems occur while running the emulator, download VC2010 redist (www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555)
- Make sure that you have admin rights or, you're using your computer as an administrator.
- Make sure that you run PPSSPPWindows.exe as administrator. Right-click on the file and select "Run as administrator".
- The PPSSPP ROM compatibility list has been taken down due to its large and hard to maintain list. For now, you can check the forums for the ROM compatibility here: http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=1473
- Also, try other games even they are not on the list (some might work so just do "trial and error").
- The PPSSPP is also available for MacOSX, Linux, Android, iOS, and many other platforms.
- Some sound effects maybe missing on some games. Just wait for an update and it may fix the issue.
- If you want to win big in one of the more popular games, Tekken, go to Win in Tekken.